Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Roses and thorns









In the search of inspiration for the current collection I'm working on for school I found myself thinking a lot about the possible reasons why I hate yarns so much, after much reasoning and self analysis I came to the conclusion of yarns giving me the idea of chaotic and messy, for instance when you knit there always comes a time when the yarns get all tangled and you feel like you're going to die out of pure frustration -I'm exaggerating but you get my point, don't you?-

So back to the research, I -being the shameless fan of Korean pop music I am- immediately made a connection with a music video from last year’s sensation artist Lee Hi. The sets in 'Rose' are incredibly neat and the overall video is so rich visually, it simply gives me more reasons to add to my list of  why I love Korean 'over produced' music so heartedly. 
The whole symbolism part is rather nice and of course when you understand the lyrics of the song, the picture above with the tangled dry stalks of roses trapping the girl make a lot more sense but I'm not planning to talk about it in this entry, the point was just to find something related to my visual research so I can progress a little bit more and find some themes to develop deeper.

Lee Hi's Rose gave me millions of things to think about, although honestly I dislike her voice and I sincerely can't stand her, this song is probably one of the most beautiful songs I’ve ever heard and I totally consider that every person in the world should listen at it at least once in its lifetime regardless of being or not being able to understand what on Earth she's singing, but just a clue, the girl is in fact telling her lover to leave her because just like a rose she 'might be beautiful but her thorns will only end by hurting him'. Nice, isn't it?






4 comments:

  1. Okay, it's good that I'm not the only one who doesn't really like Lee Hi's voice/music...it's just not my style. But it seems like everyone loves her. Though I admit she has a lot of talent, especially for someone her age.

    I tend to get a lot of inspiration from K-pop Music Videos for my writing as well - for example I made a whole 10 page short story off of K.Will's "Please Don't". But really only the ones with a decent story-line plot, not the boxed dance videos. Those are just fun to watch :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to knit and crochet so I totally understand what you mean about yarn, it can be really frustrating!

    Haha that is awesome. So many people speak about Lee Hi as if she can do no wrong but your view of her is awesome. I like her voice but I don't like any of her music apart from Rose. The video is really beautiful and the chorus is really catchy.

    And it's really cool reading about your research, you are really thorough! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahora entiendo todo! Es muy interesante leer esto! la canción es linda...tendría que escuchar otras para ver que tal! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely adore everything about Lee Hi's Rose from the video itself to the makeup (which I've noticed has been a super popular topic) I actually love her voice and think it's perfect for this song but I can see why people might not enjoy listening to her.

    I rarely watch Hollywood music videos, but I always think Korean music videos are worth watching either for the plot, concepts, or amazing dances. or empty but flashy places with 360 degree camera shots. (I'm pointing fingers at you, SM. cough cough)

    or attractive men. that too. :D

    ReplyDelete

© MAYBONES 2012 | Blogger Template by Enny Law - Ngetik Dot Com - Nulis