Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Tried to Walk on my Red Shoes under the Shadow of Love watching the Cherry Blossom Ending.



I don't have so much time to write a long post but I thought it'd be a good idea to gather some of my favorite Korean music videos -because it has to be Korean!- in one entry. I'm aware that my teacher is going to read this at some point, so this entry will include all those great songs that have been translated visually in what I consider 'the right way', thus I'll try my best to give an unbiased and objective opinion, putting aside favoritism and personal preferences. I might do similar post in the future so this time around I'll give you the Top 5 I can think of at the moment. 

 
5. Busker Busker- Cherry Blossom Ending
Although fashion wise this video is really weak, the visual elements combined with the plot story and the song itself manage to catch the attention of the viewer all the way throughout. I honestly might be picking this video because I find it incredibly 'average' but that's its charm and that's exactly why Busker Busker's song became the iconic 'Spring Song' in Korea. 


4. BEAST (B2ST)- Shadow
There's no much to say about this video other than it's visually addictive! At first I was quite unsure about including it in the list because to be sincere most of the people around me took the video really lightly and some of them even disliked it, however I think we can give it a chance, can't we? Although the video could fall into the 'guys-dancing-a-choreography' category, I think that other than just showing random close-ups of each member of the group singing, this video is full of symbolic elements, from the outfits to the effects, everything is in their right place, not to mention that the photography is -from my amateur point of view- indeed remarkable. Of course a help understanding the lyrics would make a lot easier to understand the visuals.
Hint: 'Breaking up and becoming a shadow while longing for the past'


3. B1A4- Tried to Walk
About this video? There's so much to say, I'd write pages and pages and still be halfway. First of all, a round of claps for the stylists, the artistic direction and the photography team, the outfits were very interesting mixes and -probably it wasn't even planned- the way on which the people in charge of the photography worked, allowed to clearly differentiate the variety of textures in the garments, I felt that unlike other videos, Tried to Walk gave a special emphasis on the fashion, the camera work is outstanding, showing close up of the accessories, hairstyles and clothes without downplaying other elements. My Respect.
Also, it was probably just me -the weird surrealism fan- but did someone else notice the clear references of Dali's work? I'm maybe hallucinating and I could be wrong stating the inspiration behind the video but I when I first watched it I immediately related it to the Cover for Vogue that Dali illustrated back in 1939 as you can see here:
Flowers, branches and skeletons, anyone?
Anyhow this video has its fair share of 'symbolic elements' that can only be understood if you understand the lyrics so:
Hint: 'Although it's hard, we're breaking up'



2. Teen Top- I wanna love
I can see people raising eyebrows at this choice, 'not remarkable' might be the main objection and it's true, there's no a 'defined' story going on, no special effects, no symbolism, just depressed teenagers over -apparently- breaking up with their girlfriends, wandering around Hong Kong in the most obnoxious ways. No link whatsoever. BUT... there's something that makes this video so unique to my eyes and is the quality of the styling work. Definitely, Korean stylist are the bestest of the best. There's so much textures, colors, prints. It's risky to combine all these elements but they did it without falling into the 'I'm-hurting-my-eyes-watching-this' type of video.
Other than that, the camera work is impeccable, simply amazing. I can't imagine all the work the cameramen had to go through to have such quality of images, they captured the best angles and I can have a twisted opinion but I find that although the guys were supposed to be the focus, somehow Hong Kong took over in this video, the city is in reality the main character.


1. IU- The Red Shoes
Bran New. I'll keep it short: IU is the best act in Korea just now and no one -I don't even like her- would dare to state otherwise. And there's no reason either, she deserves all the attention she gets, her new song is pure perfection and the music video is an awesome work of styling, art direction, choreography and photography altogether. The only thing I can say about it is that instead of MV -Music Video- this work should be addressed as 'Musical Short Film' because well, that's what it really is. 

2 comments:

  1. Tienes excelente gusto por la música... y me encanta como analizas cada detalleeee!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. What you wrote about Teen Top's video reminded me of one of Simon&Martina's [Eat Your Kimichi] video I watched today: they discussed differences between Korea and Europe [or to be exact France, Poland, Sweden or Norway, don't remember and Holland] - and they said that Seoul is probably the most stylish place because people dare to be colorful and a bit crazy there, compared to Paris and other European capitols where people prefer neutral tones. And I guess they can be right!

    ReplyDelete

© MAYBONES 2012 | Blogger Template by Enny Law - Ngetik Dot Com - Nulis