Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Is it any wonder?

My search for inspiration for my current project has become an obsession, I'm absolutely sure about what I want to do, I know the direction I want to take and I know how I've used my research to come up with the ideas I have, however translating them into garments is driving me bonkers because I don't have any intentions of 'creating' something that is too related in a literal way. I've always hated when designers use uncomplicated themes to just copy the obvious references -hello there, designers who put Japan culture as inspiration just to copy the silhouettes of kimonos or the patterns of cherry blossom trees- so I don't want to suddenly become one of those people who work superficially, I want to give a strong interpretation to my approaches and I want to make this collection worthy.
For instance, I've always worked with clean and structural shapes, minimal in a way but with a powerful twist, so I'm somehow starting to believe I need to break the mold -although I haven't really stuck to one concept in the past-. But breaking the mold is not easy, I keep repeating myself I should look for new and unknown -for me- sources of creativity but whenever I try to escape from my definition of 'being a good designer' things like this suddenly remind me where's my place.

A close up look at WOOYOUNGMI AW13 padding detail in the new issue of Fantastic Man.


Do I even need to explain all the perfection in the 'simplicity' of this jacket? I don't think so. For me, Wooyoungmi sisters are genius and I'm foreseeing them rising as the new iconic menswear brand in Paris now that they're finally opening their store. I'm a fan of their creations and I wouldn't mind working in their atelier, but well, first of all I'll need to survive now and make that collection of mine work...
Probably they don't represent the way I want to work at the moment, but no doubt their work is visually stimulating, I can't help but loving this all.


The second of the WOOYOUNGMI X Michael Johansson AW13 campaign images. 'The Cube'.




10 Men Summer Issue 2010 Wooyoungmi






1 comments:

  1. Muero por ver tu próxima colección!! ..... estoy segura que será igual de excelente que las anteriores!!!

    ReplyDelete

© MAYBONES 2012 | Blogger Template by Enny Law - Ngetik Dot Com - Nulis